Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Why is His faithfulness so great...

I am going to try and keep this short.  Again, this is like a journal to me, but also important to share.  I can get lazy in my relationship with God, it is unfortunately pretty easy.  I really appreciate MiP and Bible study in that they help keep me active and challenged in my walk, and there are times even while participating in all kinds of Christian activities that I can get complacent.  One of the things I know from experience is that God allows things to occur in order to change that pattern.  Dramatic things happen, crises happen, major life events happen.  The Bible says those trials are good things, meant for our character growth (James 1:2-4).  We should be excited, even filled with joy, to see what God is doing in us, thru the yucky stuff. 

In my opinion, we have had a lot of yucky stuff thru the years.  It's easy to compare and say, "well, so and so hasn't had this, this and this happen to them".  Well, I feel like we are due for some yucky stuff again.  It seems about time for some drama.  Routine can only last so long, it's time to shake things up again.  It is a fear, that runs deep within me.  Justin works construction and can't talk while at work so I never hear from Justin during the day. When the phone rings and shows his handsome face, my heart drops; "what's wrong?"  Well, yesterday God really spoke to my fear, using both Bible study and MiP.

Last week in Bible study we practiced some interactive gratitude with God, first thanking Him for something specific and then listening for His reponse (we both journaled and read aloud our interactions).  It was really powerful, and we were asked to repeat it during our "faithwork" (like homework, but for Bible study).  Our faithwork is broken into 5 days worth of questions and readings, but I tend to do it all on one day.  So one day's assignment was to read the story of Elijah from 1Kings 18-19.  Elijah called down the fire from God to prove that the prophets of Baal were bogus, then he was threatened by Jezebel, which led him to flee.  He fled to Mt. Sinai and there God met him.  First there was a mighty wind, but God was not in the wind.  Then there was an earthquake, but God was not in the earthquake.  Then there was a fire, but God was not in the fire.  Finally, there is a whisper, a gentle whisper, and there is God.  And God encourages Elijah to go back and meet Elisha who will become his apprentice.  So the question was, "What do we learn about God?"  Can I tell you, I learned that God will come to us, we can hear Him, we can be near Him, in His presence, not just in the bad times, but in the good times too.  I know that truth, but yesterday it came afresh for me, hit me in the heart, where it matters. 

Prior to working on my faithwork we had MiP where we focused on God's faithfulness.  In preparation I printed out the hymn, Great is Thy Faithfulness.  Our church is pretty contemporary so we don't sing it, but I believe we sung it at my mom's funeral and I know we sang it at our wedding.  The last day of faithwork asked that we sing a worship song, so I "sang" Great is Thy Faithfulness, afterall it was the "attribute of the day".  The last stanza brought me to tears, as God brought His truths home: 
Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and a bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousdand beside!
His peace, His presence, His guidance, His strength, bring a bright hope for tomorrow.  And what blessings He has bestowed and will continue to bestow, so many that I cannot count!  It's not like my fear goes away instantly, and bad things will happen at some time or another, but I know God, I know His faithfulness.  Jeremiah 17:8 says, "Blessed is the [woman] who trusts in the Lord and whose trust is in the Lord.  She is like a tree planted by water, that sends out its roots by the streams and does not fear when heat comes, for it's leaves remain green and it is not anxious in the year of drought, for it does not cease to bear fruit".  There is the challenge, not to be anxious.  Isaiah 41:10, "Don't be afraid, for I am with you.  Don't be discouraged, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you.  I will hold you up with my victorious right hand."  There it is, full circle, God's teaching for me right now.  I am done with my sermon.  If you read this far, then may you be blessed by His Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment