Sunday, August 23, 2015

Off and running

Anna was only a little excited for school to start

the dress she picked reminds me of the early 90's style of flowery/flowy dresses

they look pretty different now, don't they


we found Emily blue twinkle toe shoes with memory foam on the inside

all the kids complimented his "new" hairstyle

last year together until Luke is senior and Emily is a freshman

thankfully the rain held off while getting everyone dropped off


she loved the shirts I found


all week she wanted to make sure her ears/earrings could be seen

late night drama on the clothes, but she was more ready/excited for school
Alright, we made it thru the first three days of school!  I was so glad that it didn't rain during our drop offs, we got everybody where they needed to be on time and without forgetting anything!  So far everyone likes school.  Anna and Heidi don't have many friends in their classes, but they like their teachers and haven't had much homework yet.  Anna tried out for the volleyball team, staying until 5 each day, but unfortunately didn't make the team.  Heidi is enjoying chorus the most and might consider trying out for all-school chorus as an extra-curricular.  Luke has had no stomach issues, his teacher seems fun (science experiments with gum seem to be a highlight), and he gets the freedom to sit wherever for lunch in 5th grade.  Most of my questions are answered with, "uhnnn" (that is a mumbled "I don't know").  Emily loves it of course, I don't expect anything less.  She doesn't seem as tired as she was last year and has actually been bored as they go thru introductions and rules, etc.  She is looking forward to art and music and library the most.  We have the elementary curriculum night on Wednesday and will miss the middle school one on Thursday.  Thank you all for your prayers, things couldn't have gone any more smoothly.

And so we have 3 days of routine ahead of us, then off to camp!  This morning we went thru some pictures and videos of the some of other children who are going to camp, so that we could recognize them and remember some names.  Justin and I were both in tears, as I have said before, it will likely be a pretty emotional trip.  So here is what I know: there are at least 12 families going, looks like about half girls and half boys, ranging in age from 5-13.  We all arrive at the same airport, all within an hour of each other.  The camp staff will be picking all of us up and bringing us to camp, about an hour away.  We have our itinerary for the three days, we have a lot of free time to do archery, canoeing, woodworking, crafts, and cd making, amount other camp-type activities.  There is some parent pampering time, a "carnivarty" (carnival/party) and talent show.  There is also a time that we can talk with staff from the Progeria Research Foundation, which we will likely utilize (not all parents were interested in seeing doctors during this time).  I am excited for Emily, though I am also pretty nervous about the whole thing.  I am not sure about flying with Caleb (we have never flown with such a young child) and just trying to do as much as we can without him being a basketcase; he has been pretty out of sorts lately (I think it's due to the change in routine, first with the kids gone in KY and then back again, then off to school; it could be teeth, but shouldn't be).  I am concerned about Emily's emotional well-being, I just don't know how she will handle all this.  I am looking forward to the change of scenery, but there are a lot of unknowns in the week ahead.  It is such a unique opportunity and we are thankful we get to participate!  It is a fairly major landmark moment for Emily, and really for all of us.  I should have lots of pictures to share when we return!

No comments:

Post a Comment